This cenotaph was designed in 1952 by Kenzo Tange, then professor at the University of Tokyo, with a wish to reconstruct Hiroshima, the city destroyed by the world's first atomic bombing, as a city of peace.
The roof was designed in the shape of a Japanese ancient clay house with a desire to shelter the souls of the victims from the rain.
The monument is inscribed with the words, "Let all the souls here rest in peace, for we shall not repeat the evil." The stone chamber at the center houses the registry of the names of deceased A-bomb victims, regardless of nationality. Names are added when a person related to a deceased victim makes an application. As of August 6, 2016 the registry comprises 111 volumes, including 110 volumes with 303,195 names and one with the words, "Many victims with their names unknown."